Monday, January 14, 2013

The Cone of Shame

Last August, Brian and I finally broke down and decided to get ourselves a puppy. We drove all the way to Provo to see some 7 week old Pit Bull/Lab mixes. Oh I could've scooped all of them up in a box and taken them all, but we were there to decide on just one. Brian wanted a black one, so I put my blinders on and tried to connect with one of the two beautiful and super sweet black pups. We both fell in love with Pepper, but while we were playing with the other puppies, a little brown one hopped in my lap and curled up for a cuddle. I wasn't paying any attention to the brown ones, but this one was so snuggley and loving that I just couldn't leave her behind. That brown baby became known as Bailey. I looked at Brian with pleading eyes and of course he obliged. After all, he had been sitting in puppy heaven, drunk on puppy breath along with me, so he was pretty easily convinced. I was nervous at first but looking back, I wouldn't have done it any other way. Two was definitely the way to go. They're so much more at ease when you bring them home because they have something familiar at their side, and they keep each other entertained.
Pepper
Bailey


My sweet puppies Pepper and Bailey turned 6 months old this week! And to celebrate, we got them spayed (sorry kids.) I was a wreck the week leading up to the surgery. I had dreams that two dogs went in and only one came out; it was beyond horrible. Brian was the one who took them in Thursday morning, and then picked them up at the end of the day. The surgery went fine but the pups were just a bit groggy and sore when they got home.

Of course, just in time for me to come home from work on Thursday, there was a huge snow storm. A 30 minute drive took me about 2 hours. It's in times like those that I really appreciate the all wheel drive in my Subaru. The roads were packed with snow and bumpy with ice, and traffic crawled. When it wasn't stop and go, it was 10mph. I was dying to see my poor babies; I had been worrying about them all day long.


Had already been driving 45 mins, and still over an hour to get home!


Okay, so they didn't actually get a cone to wear as the title suggests, but they had some pretty pitiful faces when I finally got home. Bailey was a trooper and was up and about, but sleepy. They both just wanted to cuddle up with us all night. Pepper was very sore, and reminded herself several times of which ways not to move. She usually does a Superman leap off the couch, which she quickly figured out she shouldn't perform for a few days.
Sad faces. Pepper kinda blends in, but you can see her little white toes
Brian took the whole week off to hang out with them, and I got to join him on Friday. We didn't get a whole lot accomplished other than the several naps we shared with the puppies, (and the staring contest Brian lost with Bailey - picture below) but all in all it was a great day. Pups are doing well, and pretty much back to normal. I love our little family.


1 comment: