Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What Do You Mean You Don't Bake the Baby?

It's Mardi Gras, "Fat Tuesday," and since I couldn't be in New Orleans with my people, I took the party to the office. Any day that begins with eating King Cake for breakfast is the mark of a very good day. Add some festive beads and you've got fabulous.
Exhibit A
King Cake was so named for the biblical three kings. The cake is baked in a circle and sprinkled with three colors of sugar: purple (symbolizing justice), green (faith), and gold (power.) Inside every cake is a tiny baby to represent Baby Jesus. It's a sign of good luck to whoever finds the baby in their slice, and they are expected to host the next King Cake party.

Whilst in New Orleans this past October, I picked up an "authentic" King Cake mix in a box from a vendor at the airport. Last night, the mix finally made its debut in my kitchen. I tore open the colorful box, and pulled out the little bags of individual ingredients: the cake mix, glaze mix, the colored sugars, and yeast. Yes...yeast. Unbeknownst to me, King Cake is more of a bread-like, cinnamon roll ish pastry. "You mean to tell me this thing has to rise twice before baking!?" I cursed to myself, and debated not making it. I'm an instant cake mix type of girl: rip, dump, stir, bake, done. This cake had a 12 step program.



So I stirred...let it rise for 30 minutes, flattened and sprinkled praline sugar over butter (God bless the South), formed the dough into a circle, shoved the baby into the dough...let rise for 30 minutes...again...then baked it. The kitchen was a mess, not to mention the dogs. Constantly at my feet, everything I dropped they wore. And when I ripped open the bag containing the praline sugar, because I just don't know my own strength, Pepper was covered in half of its contents. And there she stood...frozen in place and terrified, her big eyes pleading "get it off, get it off, get it off!"

With about 5 minutes left of baking time, my hand flew to my forehead. I looked at Brian with my mouth agape as I connected the dots...the baby was plastic...and now it was in the cake...in the oven. There were some profanities muttered on my way to the oven. I argued with myself that there were no instructions regarding the baby on the recipe card...but upon second glance, there it was in big bold letters: "DO NOT PLACE BABY IN CAKE BEFORE BAKING."

Well...it looked fine. I stared at it for a couple minutes, picturing a melted plastic mess somewhere in the cake. I sectioned off about a third of the circle, the area I believed to be the region that hid the baby. I considered several delicate ways of searching but none offered any results. There was no other way. I had to massacre the cake. If I couldn't find it, I would be threatening the lives of my co-workers. It was a sacrifice I had to make, but I finally found it. To my surprise, it was still in tact. (Well played, cake mix maker, well played.) It started off white and was pink after baking. All in all, no damage, just a little sun burn. The rest of the cake was enjoyed by all in the Houseboating office; Amber had even confirmed the taste to be authentic. (Not like plastic? Good, that's what I was shooting for.) No one died, so I can officially file this experience as a WIN. I suppose you could even call it a miracle...after all, the baby is Jesus.
Let the Good Times Roll!

Fat Tuesday is always the day before Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of the Christian season of Lent. Lent lasts "40" days (more like 45) and ends the day before Easter. Traditionally, participants will give something up in order to practice discipline for those 40 days. I usually try to give up going out to eat, take out and fast food - just plain eating unhealthily. I don't always succeed in the way I hope, but I'll give it another shot this year too. (With the exception of Valentines Day, but I'll make it up to God with an extra day on the end.) I have also realized I need to add more spiritual practice in my life. I've slacked off after I stopped going to my previous home church. So I'm committing to attend another church each Sunday, and I'll keep a journal of daily devotionals (shout out to whoever invented the Bible App.) I'm hoping to build a new habit that outlasts Lent, but as anything else in life - I'm sure it's going to be harder than it sounds.

Anyone else celebrate Mardi Gras/Lent? What are your traditions, what are you giving up for Lent? Swearing, road rage, candy?


1 comment:

  1. You just explained exactly why I hate to bake! I love to cook, and feel like I am good at it....but baking? Um no! It is risky, and messy and the majority of the time too stressful for my liking. I am 100%so impressed with your persistance tho! Way to go.
    I saw your comment on my blog in regards to the photos. I edit my pics at picmonkey.com it has helped immensly!

    ReplyDelete